As an MCS community, we continue to ask that everyone heeds the advice of authorities in terms of hand washing, coughing, large group gatherings, and going in public. BCCDC continues to be an excellent resource. There are also some questions on what the requirements are for self isolation and quarantines, particularly how many degrees of separation from those who have symptoms or those who are already in self isolation. Again, BCCDC is an excellent resource.
Student Care: This can be a scary and anxious time for some students and their families. We are sharing the tool from the National Association of School Psychologists who have some great resources to equip parents in age appropriate ways. We will also be providing access to our school counselor.
This week as been exciting as the entire staff “returned” to work. They have and will continue to collectively (in virtual fashion), put their heads together to create something that you as parents will be excited about. I firmly believe that innovation happens when our backs are against the wall. Not only will this continuous learning be innovative, it will reflect the very nature of MCS—a school that shapes God’s world as reflected in the lives of each and every student that we serve. Let’s do this together as a community!
Tuition Assistance Application
MCS is not planning any changes to our tuition structure for the remainder of the year, as we are continuing to provide an excellent alternative Christian education for our families. However, the MCS Board recognizes that we may have many families that will have added financial pressures due to Covid19. These families are invited to request 3 months tuition forgiveness thought the online application portal.
Essential Services Workers – application for in-school care
The provincial government is directing all public and independent schools to make plans to provide support where it is financially sustainable for schools. ESW families may apply online for in-school instruction and care for their children. The applications will be assessed and students will be placed giving priority to frontline workers. Due to limited support staff in the school building as well as limitations due to amount of students we may safely accommodate, we may not be able to grant service for all applications submitted.
- The Ministry of Education Keep Learning website– https://www.openschool.bc.ca/keeplearning/
- 27 – A joint letter for Parents from Minister Fleming and the BCCPAC- https://www.gov.bc.ca/safeschools
- Frequent Asked Questions “Continuity of Learning in the K-12 education system” – https://www.gov.bc.ca/safeschools
- Education Minister Rob Fleming announces on March 17, 2020 in-school classes are suspended until further notice. The Minister’s letter to parents and staff can be found at: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/administration/kindergarten-to-grade-12/safe-caring-orderly/218690-covid-letter.pdf
- Information about COVID-19, including information for schools and families, is regularly updated on the BC Centre for Disease Control site: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/childcare-schools
- All joint statements from Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister of Health Adrian Dix are posted here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/ministries/health
- The Provincial Pandemic Coordination plan: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/reports-publications/pandemic-provincial-coordination-plan.pdf
- KIDS and COVID-19 QA:http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)#For–schools–and–childcare
- CBC Kids along with the PHO produced a kid-centric Q and A video about COVID-19: https://www.cbc.ca/kidsnews/post/watch-coronavirus-facts-versus-fiction
- Ministry of Health response plans – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/pandemic-influenza
- Government of Canada – Novel Coronavirus in China Travel Health Notice: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/210
Please see attached a great “Social Distancing Infographic” created by the Burnaby School District for your use. Note: This infographic has been approved by the Ministry of Health.